Centrally located, Rensselaer County is located at the crossroads of the northeast with a network of two major interstate highways (I-87 and I-90) connecting the east’s major cities: New York City (160 miles), Boston (170 miles), Montreal (215 miles), Washington (380 miles) and Buffalo (290 miles).
The Rensselaer Rail Station continues to maintain it’s ranking as the 6th busiest passenger rail station in the nation.
Rensselaer County is also connected with several commercial rail services to access cities throughout the country and Canada, some of which include:
- CSX Transportation
- Guilford Rail System
- Canadian Pacific Railway
The Capital District Transportation Authority provides regular bus services to residents of the Capital Region. There are a variety of coach lines that provide long-distance trips to the major cities.
The deepwater Port of Albany provides a year-round waterway transportation along the Hudson River. The Port also connects with the revitalized Erie and Champlain Canal systems, allowing water-based transportation to the Great Lake ports in Buffalo and Burlington VT.
There are 8 major commercial airports and 11 general aviation airports within (3 hour) driving distance to the region. Major airports include:
- Albany International Airport, Albany, NY
- John F Kennedy International, New York, NY
- LaGuardia International, New York (Flushing), NY
- Newark Liberty International, Newark, NJ
- Burlington International, Burlington, VT
- Boston Logan International, Boston, NY
- Bradley International, Hartford, CT
- Stewart International, Newburgh, NY